Case Study of a PCN Soar Beyond has been commissioned directly by to support with Pharmacist.
Situation: A 50,000 patient Primary Care Network which, like all PCNs, is still forming and storming; they haven’t yet agreed who will hold the employment contract, for example and is trying to finalise contractual arrangements. Furthermore, none of the practices having any experience of the GP Pharmacist role and so they face some potential pitfalls.
Task: To recruit and employ an effective pharmacist who can hit the ground running, start prescribing, running medication reviews and deliver the income-generation and clinical requirements of the DES in an equitable way across the 3 practices (varying in size from 6,000- 12,000 patients)
Action: This PCN recognised that time is short and understanding the importance of getting this right first time (GiRFT) has sought external expertise. By commissioning , Soar Beyond, experts in mobilising, delivering and supporting GP Pharmacists, Soar Beyond has helped the PCN tor do the following:
- Understand what the practice pharmacist can do and how they will add value
- Diagnose the individual needs of the practice and how to manage practice expectations
- Identify the specific skillset they need to recruit for
- Advertise, screen, test & complete rigorous need-based interview with PCN GP participation
- Help the PCN to sell their role to the pharmacist candidates
- Support the practice to employ and agree terms & conditions
Result: June 2019, after interviewing, the selected candidate (3 were shortlisted for interview from 20 sourced by Soar Beyond and the 6 from the PCN advertising directly). The Pharmacist has now accepted the job offer to start in September 2019; Soar Beyond will continue to support the PCN and the pharmacist to be successful by providing our SMART platform which:
- helps the pharmacist and practice to identify their development needs when they join
- ensures the practice is supporting and supervising the pharmacist with least effort and most impact
- provides the pharmacist with the tools and resources so they are being as efficient as they can be from day one- e.g LTC searches, consultation templates and audits for EMIS and SYSTmOne, repeat prescribing tool kits etc
- visibility of the pharmacist achievement by sharing KPIs that matter to the practice and DES delivery
Conclusions and advice to PCNs:
The challenge for PCNs is to get your pharmacist recruitment right first time and really consider what the demands and expectations are. In this real case-study, many conversations were had about whether a prescriber is needed, the level of seniority, the change management and leadership skills required, the day-to-day working role etc.
Soar Beyond initially facilitated a short diagnostic session with two practice managers and the Clinical Director that scoped these out and clarified the requirements to meet practice and PCN needs; delivering a clear action-plan. It is important for PCNs to recognise that the expansion of the role means that there is competition for skilled pharmacists with general practice experience and that their background and qualifications will have an important bearing on the level of supervision and support needed. If you are a PCN seeking support and needing expertise to help you source and support your PCN Pharmacist, contact us to GiRFT – get it right first time!